I have been teaching computer science and game development in the Dublin Institute of Technology for 15 years. I am AI developer for DEEP, a meditative virtual reality experience designed to relieve anxiety. My courses are based around learning, discovery and self expression through creative coding. I have won several awards including a national teaching hero award (2014), the best presentation at the International Computer Music Conference (2009) and in 2010 I won the best overall invention in DIT for developing Tunepal, a query-by-playing search engine for traditional melodies that is used by over 30,000 traditional musicians around the world. In my spare time, I enjoys yoga, running, clubbing and playing traditional Irish music on the wooden flute. I am an accomplished traditional flute player and have given flute workshops in both Ireland and France (E.g. Rencontre Musicale Irlandaise, Tocane 2012 and the Association Irlandaise de Paris 2013).
- DIT Teaching Hero 2014, awarded by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning.
- Highly commended paper in proceedings of the ACM Conference on Designing Interactive Systems (DIS’14). ACM, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- AI developer for DEEP, a meditative and psychoactive virtual reality experience designed to relieve anxiety through deep yoga breathing.
- Award for excellence in academic publishing, in the Digital Libraries Perspectives Journal 2012
- Winner Best Overall Invention in DIT in 2010 sponsored by Hannah Moore Curley Solicitors
- Awarded the best presentation prize at the International Computer Music Conference 2009
- Author of Tunepal – the world’s leading search engine app on Android and IOS for traditional Irish music. Tunepal is a query-by-playing search engine that indexes over 23,000 music scores. It has > 20K users in 40 countries and handles around 1,000 music searches per day.
- Board member of the International GameCraft Foundation (Organiser of games jams)
- Editorial board of the International Journal of Game Based Learning
- Co-organizer of the annual DIT/Ernest Adams games design workshops for second level students (2006-2013). Over 3000 students have participated.
- Co-organizer of State of Play (2011-2017) The Irish independent games festival
- Judge at the worldwide finals of the Microsoft Imagine Cup in New York in 2011
- Judge at the Appys 2012-2015 (the awards for the Irish app development sector)
- Judge at the Samsung Digital Media Awards (2011-2017)
- Competition captain of the games competition of the Irish Imagine Cup finals (2012 and 2013)
- Mentor of teams on two occasions at the worldwide finals of the Microsoft Imagine Cup competition (Seoul in 2007 and Poland in 2010)
- Mentor and organiser of DIT teams at Games Fleadh (2005-2017)
- Invited guest lecturer at the Harbin Institute of Technology, China on 9 occasions (2006-2011)
- Invited guest lecturer at the Tanzanian Institute of Finance on 3 occasions.
- Co-Organiser First Tanzanian ICT Summit (2013) organized by DIT and the Irish Embassy to Tanzania, where I presented a one day Android programming workshop
- Co-organiser International Conference on Computer Games, Animation, AI, Mobile and Serious Games 2006
- Author of BGE – open source C++ game engine for teaching, supporting Kinect and the Oculus Rift virtual reality head mounted display (http://github.com/skooter500/BGE)
Some recent talks:
Follow me on: